Summer holidays in the Hochkönig region
You can look forward to a holiday packed with adventure, happiness, games, relaxation and recreation, just how you like it. Pristine landscapes, lush alpine pastures, rustic alpine huts, culinary cuisine and the unmistakable scent of fresh country air and mowed meadows- these are just a few examples of what makes summer in the Hochkönig Region so incomparable. We have compiled a list of top tips about the Hochkönig region:
- 340 km of marked hiking trails and cosy Alpine lodges in the Hochkönig region
- Experience the animal kingdom in the Alpine Village for Animals: petting zoos, animal adventure days, children’s programme until the end of September
- Mining museums and show mines: Hike along the Erzweg Trail to mining sites and find out more about the history of copper mining.
- Paussenberg Gallery: “walk-in” art: the authenticity of a mountain village coupled with abstract art – a successful combination!
- Biberg summer toboggan run open until mid-October: 1.6 km in length, 345 vertical meters with 61 curves and two jumps
- Geocaching in Mühlbach: modern GPS treasure hunt for the whole family.
- Marmot enclosure, slackline park, boulder room and Hochkönig 3D archery parcours with 28 stations at Arthurhaus
- Natrun forest ropes course & Alpine Park Dienten with flying fox, high ropes course, rope bridge
- Thermal spas nearby: Therme Amadé, Aqua Salza Golling, Alpentherme Gastein
- Urslautal 18-hole golf course in Maria Alm, and new 18-hole OPEN GOLF in St. Johann Alpendorf
- A mountain tour to Franz-Eduard- Matras’ house on the summit of the Hochkönig at 2,943 m via the normal route or using the Hochkönigsjodler via ferrata
Summer highlights for our guests:
- Unlimited play on the 9-hole Orange Course at OPEN GOLF in St. Johann Alpendorf
- FREE admission to Mühlbach swimming pool
- FREE tennis for our guests.
The Mountain Village of Animals
Join Manfred the Marmot for a fascinating tour of the Mountain Village of Animals, getting to know his many animal friends along the way. Participate in the exciting, variety-filled children’s program with many animal encounters as well as visits to his friends at area petting zoos.
Have you ever heard of geocaching? No? Then you should definitely keep on reading! Geocaching is one of the newest, trendiest sports around, and is best described as a modern form of treasure hunting. A “cache” refers to a treasure marked by geo-coordinates. In order to find the treasures in Mühlbach, you need a simple GPS device (which we are happy to lend to our guests at no cost), the coordinates and a description of the treasure.
Enter the geo-coordinates into the GPS device and hike until you come to the hidden treasure! Geocaching uses simple means to create a certain harmony between modern technology, man and nature. Geocaching requires making your way through the countryside with open eyes and a conscious appreciation. The joy of being out and about. The fun of wrestling with a brain-teaser and a challenge. This is, ultimately, what geocaching should be all about. What could be more wonderful than setting out with your kids on an adventure-filled treasure hunt here in Mühlbach am Hochkönig!
Mountainbike tours on the Hochkönig
Numerous designated and clearly marked mountain-bike trails invite you to explore the glorious alpine landscapes which flank the Hochkönig.
Rustic mountain huts serve up tasty local favorites, ideal opportunities for a well-earned rest and refreshments, all the while allowing you to recharge your batteries.
• Downloadable overview map of the Hochkönig circuit
• Detail from the Mühlbach am Hochkönig MTB map (map available from the Mühlbach tourist office!)
Hiking paths for all levels of difficulty
340 km of clearly marked hiking paths ranging from easy to challenging, serving as your gateway to the fantastic area which surrounds the Hochkönig. Far removed from the floods of tourists, you can look forward to a broad range of opportunities for enjoying a rather different kind of hiking vacation. Rest assured, everyone who loves the mountains is certain to find a tour destined to become his or her personal favorite.
The range of opportunities extends from leisurely walks for the whole family to ambitious high-alpine tours. Our hiking map of Hochkönig’s Mountain Kingdom is available at the tourist offices in Maria Alm, Dienten and Mühlbach.
Touring & Hiking Tips
The Hochkönig region offers numerous hiking tours and all levels of difficulty. A few carefully selected tours and package offers for your hiking vacation in Salzburg can be found here:
>> Hiking tours on the Hochkönig
For our smallest guests
we have an extensive activity program from the end of June until mid September. Whether an exciting journey of discovery on the Hochkönig or an outing to one of our numerous children-friendly farms, we can readily guarantee: "Boredom will definitely never be a factor for our youngsters!"